Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Natters - Jan. 17


Oh, hi!  How have you been?  Things were getting back to normal around here and I was getting back to feeling pretty good, and now today has thrown a kink into my routine again.  We had a Winter Mess Storm move through last night, which left us mainly with ice.  Schools and businesses were closing early yesterday and closed today.  Portions of highways were closed because there were so many accidents.  There were general warnings that if you didn't have to go anywhere you should just stay home.  So we did.  Casey called in last night, and hubby and I called in this morning.  Temps hovered right around the freezing mark and just over, so it was foggy and just super wet all day.  As the sun came up and the day went on, that coat of ice melted and turned everything to a big floody mess.
Pretty ugly, huh?  Winter in Wisconsin is not always glistening and beautiful.

We just had a very lazy day, played a lot of Skylanders, and I puttered in the craft room.  I've made three cards in three days!  That might not sound like much but considering I have trouble getting going on it, I'd say that's a good start.  It's still frustrating because I'm just not doing it enough to master the skills and get more efficient.  I'd been all excited to try and make cards for a Valentines card drive for St. Jude's but I don't think it will happen this year.  It's still something I want to eventually take part in though!

I whipped this one together the other night after hubby mentioned it was our friend's birthday today.  I was like 'Hey!  I can use those circles I ordered!'

I made this for a YouTuber I follow that just had her first baby the other day.  I thought she was one who had a PO box listed in her info but when I went to get the address for this I found she doesn't.  I'll probably just hang on to this now.  Look at that 'oh joy' part!  Successful embossing!  I was so happy with that!  It's lighter than I'd expected but I think it still works.  I resisted the urge to add extra sparkle or sequins because I think that light lettering needs all the focus it can get.

And I made this one today.  Not sure who it will go to yet.  One of you might find it in your mailbox!
I'm loving using the embossing folders for the designs in the paper.  I said I wasn't going to order any more tools but I'll have to eat those words because I think I want more embossing folders.  I did order those other stamp sets we'd been talking about in comments recently, and thought I'd be done ordering for a while but then Lawn Fawn started sneak peeking their upcoming new release yesterday and yeah, there are things I need.  *sigh*  There is a kitty set, and new spring colored plaid themed set of papers (like the fall and winter ones I already have), as well as six new ink pad colors.  Yes, I will be ordering.  When will this madness stop?  lol

In entertainment news, I gave up reading this book I'd gotten for my birthday.  I tried to just soldier on because I was curious about where the story would go but, well, the storytelling was crappy.  It's choppy and weak.  There are too many characters, and the main character is very inconsistent.  The story jumps around, seeming to switch gears out of nowhere, and too many random events were thrown in.  I had high hopes going into it but no, just couldn't do it.  I managed to push myself to the halfway point of the book before finally giving up.  Oh well, they can't all be winners.

Are you guys watching that new show, Emerald City???  Oh my gosh, I love it!  It's a modern, and much darker retelling of the Wizard of Oz.  It is definitely not your colorful, singing munchkins tale of old!  There is a whorehouse/opium den in this one, run by none other than the Wicked Witch of the West.  The other witch does not get killed by a house dropping on her but by a bullet to the forehead instead.  Toto is a large, snapping and snarling German Shepard police dog.  I love it.  Oh, and the Wicked Witch of the West is not wicked yet but I see how she's already being driven to it and you just kinda have to feel bad for her.  You should all watch it so we can talk about it!!!!!

Lucifer returned last night to finish its season.  We have it recorded but haven't watched it yet.

We're two or three episodes behind on Vikings now.  I lived in fear each week for the past season that Ragnar would die and I'd lose interest in the show.  Well, he's died and that strong urge to watch is gone.  I'm not completely giving up on the show because I do want to see how the sons progress and avenge his murder, but a huge part of the draw is gone for me now.

Sleepy Hollow is back now too and I haven't had much of an urge to watch that one either.  Main character Abby died at the end of last season so it seems sort of pointless to go on, but the show was renewed so there must be something interesting to keep carrying it forward.  We have those recorded too.  I'll just need to sit down and watch all of these one day.  Maybe once I finish playing Skylanders I will be able to do that.  My game is something like 93% complete, so it shouldn't take much longer.  We're just trying to go back over spots we missed now, just trying to completely complete it.

Alrighty then, this is where I'll leave you.  I have to do dishes and pick up around the house a bit after our lazy day, then I'm off to read for a while before bed.

What is your biggest time suck at the moment?

9 comments:

  1. I love those cards you made; all so adorable!
    I hate having to give up on a book; I've only done it on 3 or 4 that I can remember. It has to be really bad!
    Glad you are safe and staying away from the ice. I now regret not DVR'ing Emerald City; it does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! =)

      You've only missed the first two weeks of Emerald City. Maybe you can find them online and get caught up?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. The cards are gorgeous... nice work!
    I watched the first 2 eps of Emerald City and am so intrigued: it was a little hard to follow at first, I think because I kept trying to figure out who everybody is supposed to be but then just gave up and went with it. I like that they are going back to the original books more than borrowing from the movie, because there's so much more material there and a lot of it is very creepy stuff! Ep 3 is on my DVR but I haven't gotten to it yet. Amanda, NBC just tweeted that you can watch it on their website or app.
    I gave up on Sleepy Hollow after Abby died. I was really watching for the chemistry, and it's a bummer that the actress wanted to leave. There are just too many good shows to watch now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 20 years ago I'd gotten some version of the the Wizard of Oz book and I remember I started reading it, but never finished and now I don't even know where it is. Anyway, yeah, I was shocked how dark and violent it was. I didn't know at that point in life that most of the old 'children's stories' were way darker in their original forms.

      I hope you get to see the show soon! We watched last night's episode and I'm still loving it. We now have the tin man in the story. hehe

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. The cards turned out wonderful!! I love how festive the birthday card is, how sweet the baby card is and hoe cute the octopi turned out.

    Maybe I am weird but I think your winter photo still looks beautiful and serene. Glad you were able to stay home and be safe and warm.

    Sounds like Emerald City is a hit! I was never a huge fan of Wizard of Oz. Blasphemy I know. But I did enjoy reading Wicked. I will have to check out your show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baby and Valentine cards were confidence boosters for sure, but a pain to figure out and get done. It's my inefficient awkwardness at this stage of the game. lol

      I don't think it matters if you aren't a fan of Wizard of Oz. This is SO different. I mean, the names are the same, and familiar bits are all there, but it's a told in a whole new way. It's so fun to see things and figure out who or what they are in reference to the familiar old version. I hope you watch it!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Those octopi are the cutest! sweet cards all around. I no longer have any qualms about giving up mid book, life is too short.
    Also, I assumed you got my email through Julie, so that's the one I've been checking, but no emails there. If you go to my profile, my gmail should be listed. Its just my google account name at gmail, no spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting easier to give up on bad books but there is still something about doing it that I don't like. I feel guilty, like 'Aww, well, this person worked hard writing it....'

      Weird that the emails aren't there. I'll try to find your gmail when I have a few moments. We'll need to get something workable figured out for Band of Bloggers. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. We'll figure it out, I hope. I feel badly, but without knowing which email you're sending to or from, the only thing I could think to do was make my Blogger/Google email public for you. All you have to do is click on my name in this comment and it will take you to my profile, with my public email contact. This all seems silly, but I hope that helps.

      Delete