Monday, January 2, 2017

Natters - Jan. 2


Hello!  How is 2017 treating you so far?  Seems like it's coming in miserably for a lot of people, and we had a touch of that ourselves.  Our furnace decided to go on the fritz last night.  Not good for winter in Wisconsin!  Especially when the service call would be after hours, weekend, holiday charges.  UGH!  Luckily we noticed it was not working right early enough, before the house got too cold.  The guy came, pushed the reset button, and the darn thing fired right up.  WHAT?!  Then he shut it off and took a look at things, said the electrodes that spark for ignition were worn enough that it probably couldn't spark that wide of a gap.  He didn't have any new ones on the truck, and they're closed for the holiday today (Monday), so he'll be back sometime Tuesday to replace the part and do some general maintenance.  He showed hubby how to do the reset button thing in case it decides to get finicky before Tuesday.  Fingers crossed it keeps working till then!

I had some other mild crappiness come in with the new year.  I was already lingering on the edge of slipping back into my dark place when a couple small things happened on New Year's Day.  First, I'd sent a message to a crafty YouTuber I've been watching, asked her what I thought was a fair enough question, and received what I took as a borderline snotty reply.  Shaking my head from that, I noticed I'd lost one follower here on the blog.  I shouldn't get upset over one reader.  Maybe they were only here for the possibility of more giveaways.  Maybe it was someone who'd stopped reading years ago.  I'll never know, but in my moody mind it was 'Oh great, I've bored someone else enough to drive them away.'

Those two little, and most likely misconceived things sent me reeling into my funk.  All those questions and doubts about blogging and everything came rushing back.  I spent the better part of the day yesterday moping about what to do.  I've always thought my blog was not very professional, and it's bugged me.  But then when I think of what I would need to do to make it more professional, I don't like the idea of limiting myself to one main topic.  People tell me they like the coziness of my little hodgepodge blog, and I like posting about whatever whenever.  Still, there might be things I could do to make it a bit more 'pro' and that's what I'm trying to figure out now.  The first thing I want to do is come up with a mission statement, and to do that I need to figure out my mission.

I've never been one for New Year's Resolutions.  I did see a couple things online yesterday though, that have me thinking about trying something.  One is to pick 'one little word' for the year, and that is your goal or motivator or whatever.  Like if your word is 'kindness,' then it's your reminder to strive for kindness every day.  I *think* mine is going to be 'productive.'  That leaves me some wiggle room.  Whether I'm outside doing yard work or simply sweeping up scattered litter from around the litter box, I want to be more productive each day.  The other cool thing was a vision board.  The one I saw was a small cork board type, and just had random pictures and things of goals you have for the year.  Again, they can be small goals, or large goals.  You have visual reminders on your vision board, can add fun little extra things like maybe pretty embellishments or your 'one little word,' and you can change the pictures or items as you complete those goals.  I want to do this, and plan to keep it small and realistic to get started.

So the other crappy thing was my growing anxiety about going back to work.  It always happens when I have extended time off.  I purposely took a shorted end of the year break this year to try and avoid it, but nope, the feeling is here anyway.  There is like a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about going back and facing the drudgery for another year.  My sleep last night was choppy as I kept waking up in a mild panic almost.  Today was a sort of depressed sluggish feeling of helplessness about the situation.  I finally made a comment about it this afternoon and hubby shrugged it off as 'Then quit.  Do what makes you happy.'  That would normally be a good and supportive comment but I know this time it was sort of a jab because I'd been so harsh about him wanting to leave his job.  I almost cried, and admitted that no, I know now would be a dumb time to leave when we're finally in a good financial position and are mainly focused now on getting the house paid off.  A couple hours later, still thinking about it all, I looked at it as 'Well, another 12-15 years won't be so bad, considering I've already done 10 years on this 12-hour schedule and that has flown by.'  My biggest source of stress at work right now is a crazy old man who's worked there about a billion years and they just don't have the heart to discipline him or let him go.  His mental health is iffy, and his physical health is going, and he misses more and more work, so my hope is that he has to retire soon.  If they could just put him on a different line it would be a great help to me and the rest of my crew.  But we're coming into this new year hoping he just realizes it's time to give it up.  Please please please!

On the brighter side of things, Fattycat continues to get better after those couple down days from his vet visit.  He's eating and drinking more, filling out more so he doesn't look so deflated, and just generally acting better.  We have not seen any ill effects from the new meds.

Ty and Matt came over today and we played Munchkin.  We only had time for one game since everyone other things they wanted to do, but it was great to have everyone home and hanging out together again.  Even if Matt was being a brat and rubbing it in about the Packers making the playoffs.  We just kept reminding him that Sam Bradford set an NFL record for pass completions.  Ha!

I should have the third of my Christmas money crafty orders in the next day or two.  I'm getting anxious to get back to making cards!  I've learned about a card drive, making Valentines cards for kids at St. Jude hospital.  I really want to try and contribute to that.  I know there other card drive programs too, and I'll have to find out more about them.  This gives me something to do with cards I make!  We're also playing with name ideas for our possible/eventual little craft hobby/business.  We'd already joked about AchyJoints Crafts (or Creations, or whatever), but then the other day I thought of TuKats (two cats, ya know?) because we seem to be all about our kitties in our old age.  Hubby and the boys like AchyJoints.  I like TuKats.
LOL

Well, I've nattered a novel.  That's about as unprofessional as you can get.  And with that, I will leave you and head to bed for an anxiety filled night of sleep.

So how have YOU been?

6 comments:

  1. I'm feeling about the same as you these first couple days of 2017. Some highs and some lows. Highs include singing and laughing to silly songs in the car with hubby. Today is kind of a low because hubs has poor time management skills and couldn't get himself out of bed and ready in time so missed an appointment at the Apple Store to learn about his new computer which he was looking forward to. Now his grumpy attitude and refusal to do anything else that needs to get done is ruining the rest of the day. He's awesome 99% of the time but when he's mad he really wallows in it, lol. It's also supposed to rain all week so that's pretty gloomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, my hubby can get that way too, the wallowing thing. I used to get upset and get wallowy too, but now I'm like 'Whatever, if you want to waste a day or two being a crabby lump, go for it.' I guess to some people it might seem like I don't have room to talk....LOL....but no, it really is different the way he goes about being mopey and cranky, compared to my dark and mopey moments.

      Bleah, you've got rain all week and I get to fall back into windy, subzero temps. BLEAH.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I guess I shouldn't have complained so much; we eventually found another class at a different store and he was happy as a clam again. We ended up enjoying the rest of our day so all's well that ends well I guess. Got none of the other errands accomplished though, lol.

      Delete
    3. Glad it all worked out. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. If your Natters are "unprofessional" then I don't want you to go professional. Focusing a blog on just one thing sounds fun, but it really leaves no play room. It would be monotonous and stifle your creativity. I love your blog as it is, but of course, you need to enjoy it too. No matter what you do I will be here, reading. :-) The numbers will jump all the time. And yours overall are high and climbing over the long run. Because you still put out content. Fun to read content. A mission statement sounds fun. My sister Lindsey adores your old lady with two sons, two cats and too much lawn to mow. It really tickles her and she says it every now and then. Glad your furnace was able to get fixed. And I hope work will be better than you expect. And Old Man Johnson leaves. Going back yesterday was a little tiring but not so bad. And today was even easier. Thinking of you! Come into the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that two sons, two cats line too. From time to time I think about changing it but it's just so witty! And still accurate! lol

      I've done nothing about the mission statement yet. Tell me what my mission is with this blog. I can't seem to figure it out myself. *sigh*

      ~Deb

      Delete