Sunday, March 19, 2017

Read - The Bronze Key (Magisterium, Book Three)

The Bronze Key (Magisterium, Book Three)
by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare
2016
249 pages

'Magic can save you.  Magic can kill you.

Students at the Magisterium are supposed to be safe.  Under the watchful eyes of the mages, they are taught to use magic to bring order to a chaotic world.

But now the chaos is fighting back.

Call, Tamara, and Aaron should be worrying about things like pop quizzes and magic contests.  Instead, after the shocking death of one of their classmates, they must track down a sinister killer . . . and risk their own lives in the process.

As Call, Tamara, and Aaron discover, magic can only be as good as the person who wields it.  In evil hands,  it has the capacity to do immeasurable harm --- unless it is stopped in time.'
----------------

This third book in the series is so short (249 pages) that I could have whipped through it in a day or two if I'd been able to settle down and read efficiently.  But no, life kept getting in the way and I was reading very small chunks at a time.  Seriously, like maybe a page or even half a page here and there, and sometimes days apart.  This is one series that I know I will go back and read once all of the books are out.  It will be fun to see how the story really flows then, and see all the clues I've been missing.  Still, I did enjoy this book.

At a glamorous party celebrating the the heroes from the battle in the previous book, a Magisterium student is murdered.  It appears Callum was the actual target.  The Assembly (ruling party of the mage world) decides Callum AND Aaron are in danger because they are both rare chaos mages, and extra security is sent to the school.  This book is about the trio's attempts to figure out who the spy at the school is, and why they are trying to kill Call.  Although I did figure it out before it was presented in the book, it still took me until almost that point to do it.  If I'd read more efficiently, as mentioned, maybe I would have seen it coming long before.  There are a lot of clues getting to you consider quite a few different people, so that was fun.

Once again, I think this book was just a little too short to really get involved in a good story.  I know it's supposed to be for middle grade kids and they had to keep it more simple and keep flowing, but there is such great potential in this story overall if there was just a little too it.  The huge event near the end of the book was shocking and could have/should have been so much more emotional than it was, but the book seemed to just present it and quickly move on.  Maybe so as not to traumatize young readers too much?  As an older reader though, I felt robbed.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on at the moment.  A whole new storyline seems to have been introduced and I don't quite understand why or where it might be leading things.  It's starting to lean towards being to 'busy' for me.  I'm very curious though, to see where the fourth book with take us.  Sadly, that book doesn't come out until the end of August.  Ugh!

2 comments:

  1. This series sounds so promising! Glad you enjoyed it. I hate the wait too, for the next book in a series. But sometimes it is worth it. Hoping this one will be! I am headed up to Jacksonville Saturday to meet Maggie Stiefvater (Scorpio Races). I can't decide if I want a photo with her or if I want her to sign a book. I do have two books signed by her already. Hmmm.

    Do you know what book you will read next? Love your Easter eggs by the way! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reviews of these books are so vague that I'm seriously considering redoing them. There are some really interesting plot points that I've shied away from mentioning too much for fear of giving it all away. Then again, I can't really give it all away if the series isn't complete yet, right?!

      I've started reading Nightmares, another middle grade series. ( https://www.amazon.com/Nightmares-Jason-Segel/dp/0385744269 ) I kept seeing it at Target, and then my sister sent me the first book for Christmas. It's cute so far, but I'm not very far into it yet.

      So cool that you get to go meet her! If you already have signed books then a pic is a must. Along with a post about the adventure. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete