Monday, April 24, 2017

Collective Walmart Wax Haul

I've been picking up packs of 'Walmart wax' randomly over the past few weeks and have a nice little pile sitting here on my desk now.  It became a situation of either get a darn haul post done already or forget about that and start using them.  Obviously I've found a few moments to focus on wax instead of German kings, so here goes!

I have not melted any of these yet.  This post will be my cold sniff thoughts only.

Hello Sunshine - 'Bright citrus zest.'
I'm not a floral scent fan so the big yellow flower on this package fooled me until one day I took a closer look and saw that it mentions citrus.  There is a slight zesty zing to this but it's not a happy orange type scent like I was expecting.  There is something almost like peach deep in the middle of the scent, and I'm not a peach scent fan.  Peach isn't even citrus, is it?  lol  I'm not sure what else might be in this.  I can't even really say I'm a huge fan of this.  So why did I buy it?  Because I had notions at the time of working my way through all of the Scentsationals scents and finally keeping a notebook of my notes on each one, good or bad.  Funny then that this is the only Scentsationals one I have in my little haul pile here.

Warm Spring Sunshine - 'Take in this captivating scent reminiscent of perfect warm spring sunshine with a fruity mix of Granny Smith apple, white peach and melon. A fresh, floral blend of spring daisy, garden florals and rain water rest on a calming base of sunlit amber and musk.'
Another one with flowers on the package and keeping me away, and another one that fooled me until I finally sniffed it.  It is a very pretty scent, with a touch of perfumey floral, but there is sweetness too and enough of a sort of sugared fruit note to make me buy it.  Reading the description, I can easily pick out the apple note.  I recognize the peach but the melon keeps it under control for me.  I do get the sort of 'rain' note, and there is a very soft musk haze over it all.  I'm surprised to say that I really do like this one.

Sweet Watermelon Buttercream - [no scent description]
I'm all about watermelon in summertime, and last year really started loving watermelon scents in wax.  This one has a nice, juicy watermelon note first and foremost but the sweet notes from the frosting come rushing in immediately behind that, adding some depth to it all.  It is sweet, and leans just a bit more towards a dessert type scent than a straight up summer fruit scent.

Island Coconut Lime - 'Freshly fallen, cracked coconut fruit blended with the zesty brightness of island lime fused with sweet sugarcane and a hint of vanilla.'
I used to make coconut-lime scented soap quite often back in my soap making days but I don't think I go for it much in home fragrance.  I'm not sure why.  I saw this one though and decided heck yeah.  The coconut hits you first but it's not a super sweet tropical type.  I think the vanilla is toning it down quite a bit.  There is a healthy note of lime too but it's all blended nicely into a somewhat 'dry' and warm scent.  This is interesting.  I expected it to be a lot more juicy and tropical.

Sweet Sangria - [no scent description]
Google tells me that sangria is usually made with wine and orange juice and a variety of chopped fruits.  This Mainstays Sweet Sangria scent seems to fit that description.  I do get a deep citrus punch type vibe from this, the orange can be detected, and there is almost something like the tiniest hint of spice.  This is sort of a darker summer fruit scent and I like it, well at least so far on cold sniff.

Sweet Apple - [no scent description]
I kept avoiding this one because I like my apple scents in the fall.  I finally picked it up though and gave it a sniff one day, and it had to come home with me.  There is no spice in this, nothing fancy or fall-like.  It's just a really nice, sweet and happy apple scent.  Still, I will tuck this away until the end up summer.  It will be a nice transition scent, when summer is winding down but I'm not yet ready for the heavy spices of fall scents.

That is my little collective haul.
Are you a fan of 'Walmart wax' (BHG, Scentsationals, Mainstays)?  I've really been impressed with the Mainstays wax.  They pack quite a punch and are super affordable yet still don't smell cheap and plastic-y.

What fun scents have you discovered lately?

Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY for a chance to try products from Candlemart.
Click HERE to enter!
(Giveaway is now closed.)




8 comments:

  1. I do like Walmart wax! That Sweet Watermelon Buttercream is one of my favorites of their new spring scents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking to melting that one, just waiting for a little closer to summer. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I am a fan of Wal-Mart wax! It can be easily over looked though with all the other wax that I own but we must not forget the great performance that is BHG and ScentSationals.
    My favorites are Sugared Lavender Twist, Sugared Melon Kiwi, Wildberry Cheesecake to name a few.
    I also have Warm Spring Sunshine in my purse right now, I am shocked that I like it being as it is more floral.
    Sweet Watermelon Buttercream smelled amazing on cold but after a few hours of melting it turned into a cough syrup note so it just didnt work out for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love BHG/Scentsationals. I might not always like the scents but I've rarely, in all my years of melting it, had a dud. It frustrates me that people scoff at it just because 'Eeuw, it's at *Walmart.*'

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I'm very intrigued by the Sweet Watermelon Buttercream and Sweet Apple! Staying tuned for melt reports.

    Have you run into any of the new Glade line? I picked up a dark pink candle at Target recently and do not recall the name (they don't put it on the label!). It was ok on cold sniff (fresh, slightly floral) and first burn, but second burn was very cloying with a weird scratchy cologne scent (lol--see why I don't blog about candles!). It also burned weirdly, making a kind of cave around the wick. Total fail :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't paid much attention to Glade lately. I glance as I go down that aisle, and have seen the fancy new line, but haven't really stopped and investigated. Bummer that yours sucked. =(

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I am with you on the Mainstays scents. Whenever we do get wax at our Walmart, the Mainstays scents end up being some of my favorites. Mulled Cider... mmmmmm. These are some really interesting scents, Deb! I would not have pegged you for all these fruity florals but I am stoked for you! I hope you end up liking them. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been surprised with how deep and full the Mainstays scents are. They seem to have upped their game because I remember the earlier ones having that plastic 'aftertaste' to them.

      I'm surprised by these fruity florals too but keep in mind, I did not pick them because I love them. I picked them in an attempt to work my way through all of their scents and get a notebook going for reference. hehe

      ~Deb

      Delete