Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Happy Mail From Meghan

I received a surprise happy mail package today, and boy did it do wonders for my mood about some things.  I'll get to that nattering in a bit because I know everyone is more anxious to just know what was in it!

Carnival Cotton Candy (Dessa's Homespun Scents) - 'Sweet spun sugar that will melt in your mouth. A soft pink cloud of decadent candy confection and a touch of a little extra sweetness. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
This is perfect for right now, as I'm melting more happy and fruity type scents during springtime.  I don't really get into the super candy sweet types of scents, so I was a little leery when I first say this.  This one is fine though!  It's a sweet scent, sure, but it's not hyper-sweet candy type.  This is a little more subdued, with a teeny hint of vanilla creaminess, and a fleeting note of something almost like bubblegum.

Country Fair Jamboree (Dessa's Homespun Scents) - 'All of your favorite country fair treats blended together – a jamboree of sweet and salty country kettle corn, gooey buttery caramel apples and sweet cotton candy. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I received this scent as a free sample with one of my early orders from Dessa's but I don't know if I ever melted it or not.  Salty notes and popcorn scents are not my friend.  On cold sniff I get more of the caramel apple notes, and that's totally okay with me!  I will probably set this aside for fall.

S'mores (Dessa's Homespun Scents) - 'A traditional campfire treat of sweet graham crackers topped with melted milk chocolate, and a gooey toasted marshmallow. A Homespun Original House Blend.'
I love graham cracker scents but chocolate in home fragrance is iffy for me.  On cold sniff I definitely get the chocolate note, but there is enough of the graham crackers and creamy marshmallow to tone it down.  I think I might be okay with this one!

Christmas Tree (Dessa's Homespun Scents) - 'Close your eyes and you are in the middle of a Christmas tree farm. The nostalgic scent of a fresh cut pine trees.'
Oh my gosh, just one small sniff of this jolted me into a moment of Christmas joy.  This is a simple yet wonderful pine scent, one of those must-haves during the holiday season.  This will get tucked away until Christmas rolls around again.  And how cute is that stocking shape?

Candy Cane (Dessa's Homespun Scents) - 'The traditional red and white striped holiday candy will put you in the spirit of the season. Icy, refreshing peppermint with a touch of sweetness.'
Yes, yes, yes . . . sweet peppermint is an absolute must-have for me during the Christmas season.  This is very nice, not too overwhelming on that peppermint sharpness, toned down a bit by whatever that "touch of sweetness" in the description is.  Another one I'm glad to have tucked away until the holidays.

Cranberry Vanilla (Goose Creek) - [no scent description]
A cranberry scent for fall?  Yes, please!  This is not a spiced cranberry scent, which I prefer, nor is it the sweet perfume-y type of cranberry scent that I don't like.  This is somewhere in the middle.  If I didn't know it was cranberry I'm not sure I would recognize it as such.  There must be other notes in here.  Still, this is nice, sort of on the warm and creamy side, with something in it making me think of large sugar crystals.  I'll probably tuck this away for fall even though it doesn't really scream fall to me, at least not on cold sniff.

Liquored-Up Tart (Dark Candles) - 'This scent is a succulent recipe for a flaky pastry tart filled with caramelized apples which have been sautéed in champagne and butter, dashed with cinnamon, and finally the tart is topped with butter cream frosting.'
I was very curious about this one.  I don't think I'm familiar with Dark Candles, the vendor of this tart.  The scent is interesting but nothing like what I'd imagine from the scent description.  I really don't even know how to describe it.  I think I'm mainly getting the champagne note but without any bubbly note.  There is sort of a hint of bakery note but nothing along the lines of a warm caramel apple pastry for fall.  I will have to melt this soon to see just what shows up.  Interesting for sure!
 
This package, as mentioned, was a total surprise.  I don't know Meghan.  She quietly sent this to my PO box, which is super fun and really is the reason I decided to get a PO box to begin with.  Pretty much every YouTuber and many of the blogs I come across have PO boxes, and a greedy little part of me wanted to be one of the cool kids too.  Seriously though, I think having a PO box listed can take away some of the awkwardness of someone having to ask for your address to send you something.  It's awkward on both ends.  I've been there before.
 
I've been a bit mopey about the blog and the PO box lately though.  There is a quote from the psychiatrist on the show Lucifer that really stuck with me, and I've had it scribbled on the back of a napkin right here on my desk since I saw that episode months ago . . .
 
"Self worth comes from within.  You can't rely on others to validate you."
 
I immediately thought of my blog when she said that.  I've admitted before that I struggle with blogging when the comments and interactions dwindle.  To me, it's like 'Why bother?' if it seems no one is reading.  People try to pound into my head I should do it because I like doing it, and they try to remind me that there are probably plenty of people out there who quietly read but don't comment.  I really struggle with accepting those bits of wisdom.  So that quote made me think, am I relying on others to validate me and my blogging?  Is my self worth measured by the amount of interaction my humble spot on the internet produces?
And then this package arrived.  Meghan wrote a wonderful note in the card.  It brought me to tears actually because she says she's been a reader for years and finds pretty much all that I post, particularly the Natters, to be deeply comforting.  I love that.  I love that she's been quietly following along for some amount of time.  I love that my seemingly pointless nattering means something to someone.  I don't do it with a goal of pleasing anyone, but to know that it does is amazing.  Others have told me my Natters posts are like sitting down for coffee at a friend's house.  I'm humbled and get all the warm fuzzies when people say such things, and it makes me want to continue.  But when things go quiet, all my doubts come rushing back.  What does that say about me?  Apparently I *do* need others to validate me.

Another awesome thing about Meghan's package arriving is that I'm now reconsidering letting my PO box go.  I think it's renewal time this month and I had already decided I wasn't going to because I just wasn't getting anything in it except the weekly local marketplace papers that everyone gets.  That sounds totally whiny and greedy, I know.  "Waah waaaah, no one is sending me stuff!"  I don't mean it to be that way, but it was sort of a kick in the ol' self worth.  I suppose it was big headed of me to even think people would send stuff anyway when I don't actively promote my blog anywhere and don't have some huge following.  But still . . .   And now here is Meghan, who has been out there all along and might have never sent anything if she'd had to go through that awkward "Can I have your address?" thing.  Perhaps I'll hang on to the PO box a while longer afterall.

So thank you SO much, Meghan!!!  Your kind gesture has hit me on so many levels, and I appreciate it probably more than you'll ever know.  (Even the grandma part . . . LOL)

4 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful package! It sounds like Meghan is a super sweet person.
    I'm going to need to pick up some more Dessa's once I've melted through more of my stash. I'm trying not to let my wax pile up like I tend to. Please post about these scents once you melt them! I'm especially interested in how S'mores performs. I'm all about finding a good chocolate scent.

    I know exactly how you feel about the blog interaction. As much as we don't want to admit it, seeing the blog stats and interaction from real people feels so much better than feeling like you're talking to an empty room. Hopefully this surprise package has reinforced the notion that a lot of readers don't actively comment on blogs. Keep on posting what you want to post! If you're passionate about something it 100% shows in your writing and will draw people in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have sworn I replied to this comment this morning, but now I don't see it. *grrr*

      I will try to do Melted posts for these. You know I tend to get moody and bored with those posts though. lol

      The package was a wonderful morale booster. I should keep her card here on the desk as a reminder for when the next 'No one's out there, I quit' phase rolls around.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. This post makes me so happy for you! Meghan sounds like a lovely lady. If any of these Dessa scents ring your chimes, she is having a sale on the 7th... 15% off I think. You know whatever you do I am here to support you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that sale! I'm considering! I should pop over to the Satin Suzie site too and see what's new there.

      And I thank you for that support. Seems everyone is so busy, off doing their own things right now, and it just seems quiet and lonely online these days.

      ~Deb

      Delete