Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Natters - Apr. 5 / Nasal Spray & Stuff


You know how I've mentioned my ongoing nasal congestion battle?  I couldn't figure out if it was a cold or allergies?  I suspected it might just be overuse of nasal spray and after yet another sleepless night of mouth breathing I've decided it's time to stop using it and find out.  I'm going cold turkey on this.  If you're not familiar with nasal spray, they can be a godsend but they are also notoriously addictive.  You end up with rebound congestion, where you need to use it more and more often and then it just doesn't work and even makes the congestion worse.  I was at that point about 15 years ago and managed to quit.  I was doing good for many years, then started using it here and there a couple years ago.  The past couple months though, I've found myself using it more and more and, yep, it's just stuffing me up even more now.

I did a bunch of reading today and pretty much everyone says it takes just three days to kick the effects if you go cold turkey.The first day is horrendous, the second day is noticeably better, and the third day you pretty much get your nose back to normal.  Well considering last night was a sleepless hell, I already have nearly a day invested in this process.  I'm prepared for another crappy night, and *hopefully* I'll notice some improvement for work tomorrow.  I don't really have a choice.  I need to do this.  I can't remember the last day I've had normal breathing!

Wish me luck!!

Had a bit of a scare with my mom yesterday.  I'd gone over there earlier than usual because we needed to be in town for my eye exam at 9:00am.  She said she'd walk around Walmart and look for a few things while I had my appointment, then we met up again and finished up her actual grocery shopping.  It was during that shopping that she paused and commented that she'd suddenly felt dizzy and very warm.  She didn't seem too overly concerned but I was silently freaking.  She continued shopping and seemed okay for the most part.  Every once in a while she mentioned feeling so warm.  She started to seem a bit tired and crabby as we shopped so I started trying to hurry things along by moving faster than her to grab the things I knew she wanted.  We got out to the car and she drank quite a bit of water and said she felt better, but then part way home she mentioned being dizzy again.  I wondered if it was because she'd been out and about earlier and longer than usual, and maybe she hadn't eaten much before we left.  Once we got back to her place and she was able to sit down and relax, eat a bit and drink more water, she seemed back to normal.  She called today very briefly and sounded completely fine.  *phew*  I mean, she IS 80 years old.

Casey came over today and guess what he did . . . 
Yep, fell asleep again.  He works third shift, remember.
The cats were happy to see him though.

So, I've finally seen Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.  I know several people who absolutely loved the movie.  I'm such a bad Harry Potter fan!  I just wasn't wowed by it.  I tried!  I wanted to be!  But I was just sort of meh about it all.  I kept wondering if maybe it would have been more interesting if I could remember more of the Harry Potter history.  I also kept wondering if there really was a lot of pre-Harry history in this story or was it just a few notable bits that connected it all?  I don't know.  I liked Queenie.  I found it annoying that I couldn't understand half of what Newt was saying with his sort of slurry way of talking.  Seeing Johnny Depp was fun.  But overall, it was just rather ho-hum for me.

We watched Moana tonight.  That was a cute movie.  I think I actually got into that one more than Fantastic Beasts.

Well, I had other things I was going to natter about but I took a break to watch The Magicians and now I can't remember what I was going to say.  So I guess I'll just post this and head up to bed to hopefully get a bit of sleep.

What movies have you seen most recently?
Are you a nasal spray user?

4 comments:

  1. Yikes, I hope your mom is ok! I just got back from Florida where my mom ended up in ICU after becoming severely dehydrated. She caught some kind of bug and thought she could just power through, but the stress on her body from the dehydration triggered her a-fib. She's doing much better now, but not a fun trip :(

    I used nasal spray a long time ago but stopped when it wasn't really helping my congestion. I used to get sinus infections about once a year but since I cut way back on consuming dairy products it's not nearly as bad. I also use a neti pot occasionally. It took a while to get the hang of it and not feel like I was drowning. Usually I'm too lazy, though!

    I still have not seen Fantastic Beasts or Moana. Have you seen the new Pete's Dragon? It made me cry :D

    The photo of Casey is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes to you too! Hope your mom is feeling better!

      Neti pots creep me out. I know tons of people use them, and many of the things I read about nasal spray addiction said to use a neti pot instead but...eeuw. I have yet to try one. I don't know it just seems like you're inviting more cooties in, or upsetting a natural balance inside or something.

      I have not seen the new Pete's Dragon yet. I used to have the book when I was a kid but don't remember ever reading it. LOL I wonder if I still have it?!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Yessss, That is how I felt about Fantastic Beasts, I just wasn't Woo-d. My husband seemed to really enjoy it and even asked me, "Well what didn't you like about it?"
    Honestly I couldn't really give him a straight answer, It just wasn't Harry Potter. I knew that going into it, It just wasn't that great.
    Let's see.. good movies we have seen recently would be Finding Dory and the newest Ghost Busters movie (lady version) but we have mostly been re-watching recently, starting with the LOTR working our way down and Guardians of the Galaxy.

    Glad to hear your mom is okay!
    Ugh, Allergies are a pain in the rump and my doctor wants me to be on nasal spray to help my allergy pill but I just haven't got myself back in the groove of taking it after getting myself winged off of it for so long now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about Fantastic Beasts today after reading what you said about not being able to answer why you didn't like it. I was trying to figure out why it just didn't work for me and I think it's because it didn't really seem like it needed to be a beast movie at all. I don't really consider that black swirly thing that Credence was to be a beast.

      I enjoyed the new Ghostbusters movie. It was fun to see how they worked in all the original cast members.

      ~Deb

      Delete