Friday, June 16, 2017

June 16 - Fatty Fairies

Another crazy day at work.  Well, the first several hours were pretty mellow for me because I was a machine operator today instead of my usual job.  It's quite a nice change of pace to just worry about one machine, one job, sit down for a while in between tasks.  Normally it's go go go, be ten places at once and do twenty things because you're everybody's bitch.  Ugh.  So yeah, it was nice at first, then it just all went to crap and I ended the day just as crabby as any other day.  At least it's Friday and I have three days off now.

Lynx (aka Fattycat) has been off the potassium supplement for two days now and it seems like there is an improvement in him already.  I thought maybe I was crazy.  I mean, geez, we thought stopping the powder would just make it easier for him to eat his food.  We didn't think there would be some obvious difference in health and behavior.  So I looked it up, just to see what side effects might be associated with potassium supplements and was floored by what I saw.  Muscle weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite.  Well, he'd lost weight and was looking rather skin and bones-ish again, he wasn't eating as much, he was sleeping all the time and very blah when he was awake, and he was wobbly.  So yeah, pretty much all could be side effects from the potassium powder.  So yeah, it could be safe to see there actually is a noticeable difference in him now without it.  He already looks a little more hydrated, he's awake more and alert during those times.  He's social.  Yes, I think stopping this powder was a good choice.

Got a couple small packages in the mail, so hopefully I'll get a little crafty haul posted tomorrow.

I'm off to bed now to read about my new fairy boyfriend, Mark.

Who is your current dreamy fantasy fling?

6 comments:

  1. Fatty Fairies got me worried for a minute. I was thinking angels. :-(

    Mark really IS growing in you!!! My fictional dream boat at the moment is Curran a werelion and the Beast Lord of Atlanta. Rawr. You need to read this book series Deb!!! I will see if I can hunt down the first one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever heard of that book?! A werelion?? Hmmm, I'll have to head over to Amazon to look it up.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Going to touch base with you on Fatty and what you have tried for kidney disease. I am on my second cat with it and have some guilt over how we handled it the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't have kidney disease quite yet. He has a thyroid problem but at his last check the first slight change in kidneys was detected. The vet said it was still within normal levels though, and thought the potassium might just help things stay steady.

      We had two other cats go through kidney disease. :( It's heartbreaking, for sure.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I took him to the vet yesterday, it looks like I will have to start giving him subcutaneous fluids a couple times a week. Same thing we did with the prior kidney cat. My cat sitter was a nurse so at least I will have some help until I get the hang of it.

      Delete
    3. That's where it's injected, right? That's been mentioned as an option if Fatty declines, and it scares me. We have two pet fountains, in two different rooms, plus a bowl in the bathtub where the slow drip of the faucet mildly simulates a fountain. Fatty drinks tons more water since switching to fountains.

      Hope the fluids help your kitty!

      ~Deb

      Delete