Wednesday, June 28, 2017

June 28 - Mood Lifter


It was a chilly, rainy day here today.  We really don't need any more rain around here.  It was actually a nice day for me despite all that gray blahness going on outside.  My mood was great and I got a ton of little things done.  No one stopped by to distract me.  I had nowhere I needed to go.  The cats slept all day.  It was fabulous to just not be bothered.

I played around with some craft stuff today, trying some different techniques, practicing some coloring and things.  I got a few things labeled and organized in the craft room.  And I ended up placing two fairly large orders for more crafty things.  Look for some haul posts coming soon.

Something happened yesterday that boosted my mood and my renewed ambition for my crafty stuff.  Hubby's friend/coworker would like to rent some space in our barn so he has an area to do wood working and craft projects.  He's offered to help hubby clean up the barn and get the building fixed up and usable.  Hubby says, "I'm not going to turn down an offer to help on that!"  Fixing the barn has been a major project of ours that is just not getting done.  We'd been trying to fix it up here and there ourselves but it's quite a huge task.  Even before the coworker mentioned it, the plan has been to make the barn hubby's workshop.  We'd admitted defeat very early this year and were going to just have the building torn down and put a pole shed up on the same spot.  That idea had its drawbacks though because we'd just had a new roof put on the building a year or two ago.  It also meant we'd  be stuck with another loan payment for who knows how many years, which would probably delay me being able to retire from my job.

Well!  Hubby and his friend have decided that between the two of them they can save the current building and get it fixed up and usable again.  YAY!!!!!  That's most exciting to me because we won't be making a loan payment, which gets me back to being hopeful about leaving my job sooner rather than later!  This has also got me excited to get busy on the paper crafts again!  We already have a name for our little crafty venture, whether we actually try to make money from it or not.  I'm excited now to start thinking about logo designs and getting a custom stamp made.  Oh yes, it's the small things!  lol

I said I'd post a pic of the assembled Beauty and the Beast rose that Julie had sent me.  And here it is.  It was actually quite labor intense!  I forgot to curl the edges of the petals before gluing the pieces together.  Oops!  Still looks cute though.

Casey has some altitude sickness yesterday.  He's vacationing in Colorado with friends this week, in case you missed that mention in a previous post.  This pic is from some other mountainous place, but they went to Pike's Peak yesterday.  That's kinda cool.  He was feeling miserable afterwards though.  I haven't heard from him much today but he said he was feeling a little better.

I got my few little 4th of July decorations out today.  I took a few pics but not of the stuff outside, because of the rain.  I'll show them later, closer to the 4th.

Tomorrow it's back to work.  Ugh.
So for now I will go read for a while before bed.  I'm getting frustrated with that Shadowhunters book and might start skimming just to see what happens and get through the last hundred or so pages.

How was your Wednesday?

6 comments:

  1. How cool to have someone wanting to use your space for something creative! It's like you're setting up a little artist colony :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it actually happens, at least saving the barn anyway. They've been out there every day after work so far, cleaning. I'm curious to see what kinds of things the friend is wanting to make. Hubby wants to do all things wood working ... crafts, decorations, cabinetry, etc.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. If he starts making things will you please share pics with us? And I love the rose!! It looks so cute. Hoping Casey has a fun time and brings his mama back a little treat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to get pics of things they work on. I should have been taking progress pics of the barn but it never even occurred to me till now. Maybe this weekend I'll go get some before the (hopefully) big changes start happening.

      Casey's trip turned sort of miserable. They all got bored and were bickering with each other so they decided to head home a day early (this morning). They'll be arriving back home sometime in the night.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Wow, Deb. Lots of creativity going on around your place, it sounds energizing and exciting. Good luck on the crafty projects, I've only seen your cards I believe but they are sweet and adorable. Happy fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to see what sorts of things they create out there. It'll be a while before they're to that point though. The barn is in pretty bad shape and probably has at least a month's worth of work just to get it in shape. And that's if they stay ambitious.

      We used to do quite a few wooden yard decorations. Hubby would cut the wood an I would paint them. Things like Halloween decorations....tombstones and ghosts, etc.

      I made several little notecards today. I'm so proud of myself! I was hoping to post about it tonight but as usual, I wait till too late in the evening and then I'm too tired to write a post. Maybe tomorrow!

      ~Deb

      Delete