Monday, July 3, 2017

July 3 - Barns and Birds


I've had such a great past few days and now today I'm bored and crabby.  Not quite sure why, just one of those days where I can't get motivated.  I also had two rather crappy things happen today.  First, I've heard murmurs through the grapevine that we're going back to mandatory overtime at work.  Not sure how that will happen when the company was forced by major customer/contract holders to stop.  Still, just hearing it might happen has me dreading it.  The other thing is that I can't find two really old family photo albums.  I am the keeper of old family things and I've been in possession of those two albums pretty much since I left home.  I needed to find and scan a couple pics today and can't find the dang books!  Did I lend them to a family member?  I don't remember doing so.  I thought I knew exactly where they were, but nope.  So I checked a few other logical places, but nope.  It's freaking me out right now!

In better news, Casey made it home from his trip late Friday night.  He slept here that night, then spent part of the day Saturday here telling us stories, sharing souvenirs, and showing us pics.  He got some really cool pictures!  I won't show you all 300+ but I will show you a few.
 
 
They ended up going to Pike's Peak a second time.  They actually cut the trip short by a day because they were all bickering with each other and got bored.  Although I think Casey did have some fun, he was glad to get back home and said "I'm never going on a trip with them again."

Work on the barn is coming along.  Hubby and his friend are out there every day after work, and they worked out there all day Saturday.  I'm glad things are actually getting done, and glad that hubby has something to do beside sit on the couch and mindlessly flip through channels on TV.
This is what they're starting with.  The outside will eventually be redone, fixed up, cleared around the area.  That door in front of the tractor is the main entrance, and that's the side that faces the house.  The side to the left faces the road.  There is a large concrete slab at the road-facing end, and it will eventually be cleaned off.
This is the back side, facing away from the house.  The boys and I helped hubby completely rebuild the entire length of wall several years ago.  The project sort of petered out after that, until now.  The metal roof was just put on a couple years ago.
This is the side opposite the road.  When all is said and done there will be new windows and doors, and an 18 inch gravel perimeter around the whole building for better weed control.  I'm not sure if they plan on putting siding up or just painting.
And this is the type of mess they're dealing with inside.  Years of collected junk and overall neglect.  This is actually much cleaner than when they started a week or so ago.  They've been pulling down the rotting ceiling from those low rafters, and cleaning up all the nasty straw and mess that was up there.  Today they've started sorting through some of the junk inside, starting a pile for the scrap yard, a pile for burning.  They'll bring in some air hoses and blast the rafters and everything above clean. Then reclean the floors.  Their plan is to put some insulation up there, put a new ceiling back in, and then paint everything white to help brighten up the place.

Fingers crossed they stay motivated enough to actually get it all done!

Random question . . . Do any of you keep bird feeders at your house?  We've had several feeders for many years, but I'm considering stopping.  We live out in the country remember, and have a huge lawn.  We get SO many freakin' little rodents out there.  A huge section of lawn around the feeders is a disaster of rodent holes.  I'm sick of see so many of them, sick of hearing the little territory battles that go on among them, sick of hearing the screams of fighting ones, sick of hearing and seeing the screeches as the evil little demons actually attack and kill birds.  It's neat to see the hummingbirds and orioles, the tons of goldfinches, the woodpeckers and blue jays, along with all the other kinds we get.  But ugh!  The drama of nature can be too much at times!  Should I move the feeders farther away, somewhere I won't see or hear it all?  Then I won't see the birds.  Should I just quit feeding them?  Then I feel guilty, like all the birds in the world will die because I stopped feeding them.
 
Opinions, please?!
 
Also, would anyone be interested in a little giveaway of notecards I made?
 

8 comments:

  1. Is it birdseed attracting rodents or the birds themselves? Since the hummingbirds drink sugar water maybe you could just keep those feeders and still enjoy them. They're so speedy I would think it would be hard for a critter to catch them.
    Also, those cards are adorable! You know I love pineapples.😍🍍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the birdseed that drops that attracts the little critters. The hummingbird feeder is nice I don't know if I'd be satisfied with only that. I'll probably continue on until my current supply of birdseed is gone, and then try to decide what to do.

      Pineapples are so *in* right now! I'd never been much of a fan but this particular stamp set was so cute. There are extra stamps to put little faces on them too.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Love all the cards you are making

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog background this month, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't know if I'll keep it all month though. I liked it for around the 4th of July, but might switch back to something generically summer soon.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. DEB! You could totally have your own soaping/keeping room in that barn!!! How cool! I love old barns.

    Too funny about Casey saying he won't even go on a trip with them again. I am sure we have all had those opinions before. Being with people 24/7 can be quite the challenge sometimes.

    As for rodents... my grandma shoots them with a BB gun. I am sure it is not the preferred methodology... maybe there are some rodent deterrents? Rodent proof poles? Contraptions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in my soap making days we *had* talked about fixing the barn for that. It would need way more work for something like that though. It would need to be more completely finished, with heat and water, etc. For the work they're going to be doing though, it can be a little more garage-like.

      The rodents don't cause problems by climbing the poles to the feeders. They just cause problems in all their digging and fighting and killing. Hubby has shot them before. We've tried various deterrents too. Bleah.

      ~Deb

      Delete